Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Tellin' myself it's not as hard hard hard as it seems

Today was an ugly day. They're the worst sort of day, and are not coincidentally cyclical and associated with profound annoyance at people you work with, exhaustion, and a general feeling of wanting to watch a lot of television and drink Diet Coke. That, or listen to tragic songs. My poison today: Going to California. Sigh. California. Dear Robert Plant, singing to my hormonal soul.

One thing I do when I feel ugly is to wear bad clothes, and I get this overpowering desire to hide. One thing that seems to make sense at times like these is to hide one's head. This can be achieved by wearing a hat, maybe, or an Hermès scarf, if you're so inclined and have an extra 300 bucks lying around. I went for a lower-budget and rip-off approach, myself. Since I might be a teensy bit in love with all things Isaac Mizrahi and he often wears a white version of the classic bandana on his crazy hair, I decided one late night at Wal-Mart that I should become a bandana girl. It's so sassy, so hip. Or maybe it used to be hip - I can never be sure in North Carolina. At any rate, I debated between white and orange for a good 8 minutes, and finally settled on orange, for my own statement, presumably. It cost $1.26. I still feel ugly today, even with it thwarting the escaping ugly from the top of my head, sort of like heat when you're camping.

Also I was thinking how many people lately have been asking how my summer's been, and as all these people are in some period of college matriculation, I just have to grimly answer that it's been fine, when, in fact, once you are a grown-up and don't have kids around which to base a schedule, summer is just weather, and this cute girl tonight was telling me about her summer in Boston where she met and fell in love with a darling landscape architect named Hugh. It's just been hot here. Also, sometimes I really wish I could live in Boston.

And can I just end by saying that I love how when you make a typo in Yahoo it ever so kindly asks at the top of the page, "Did you mean [correct spelling] instead?" It's just so polite, unlike me today.

We'll see if tomorrow is better. Goodnight, Robert Plant. I'll come see you in California.

No comments: