Monday, February 11, 2008

I love this commercial

Really, I have no use for the NBA. It bugs me when players go pro before finishing college, because even those whose life goals wouldn't normally have been pursuing a degree at least have something to fall back on when they tear their ACL. It has to be better to have a BS in General Studies with a 2.1 GPA than sit on the bench for a year some team in Spain, right? And the NBA is the opposite of a fostering environment, and it doesn't really look like there's much love for the sport unless you play for one of the 3 winning teams or are an amoral superstar, and by then you've sold your soul anyway. Ultimately the whole drafting experience is too Pied Piperish for my taste.

Despite that, I am totally crazy about this commercial. Whoever made this one should have made all the commercials for the Super Bowl, because they had about a 6% rate of funny/awesome. Here's what I love about it: Dwyane Wade is so darling, in spite of his NBA-sized ego, the sound mixing is perfect, the shadowing on his face looks so good in black and white, and the musicians harmonize with the spoken note of his "Waaaaaaade." It helps that his name is well-suited to this kind of thing; you're not making the same commercial for Andrei Kirilenko, I'm saying.

Even people like me, who only watch competitive sports in March and when Carolina plays, know there is something just a little magical about the echo in an empty arena. When Neck (my misguided Duke fan of a brother) was here a few years ago and we went over to Cameron and somehow got inside without anyone bugging us, even I was caught up for a second in the feeling of that still, high-ceilinged place. And heaven knows I have nothing but fire and loathing for what goes on in there when it's full.

Maybe it's tonight's win talking, but I could watch this thing all day.

3 comments:

Em said...

i love dwayne wade. he's my fave player. that's a sweet commercial.

Donnie Barnes said...

Just an FYI, he's one of the cooler guys in the NBA. Very active in his community in terms of doing things to REALLY help people, not just get some good photo ops. He brought himself up from not much, too...he wasn't one of the pampered insanely high recruiting targets who went to all the camps and had magazine articles when he was in high school. He made himself what he is a little later in life than most of those kids, and thus has a great ability to appreciate it than most.

Lis said...

Now I love it even more :) That is heartening.