Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We have a whole new ballgame

My friend Al sent me this link, because I missed the speech. She suggested that it was one of the most moving and thoughtful speeches ever made on the issue of race in America, and I agree. The offscreen audience seemed to sit so rapt I forgot there even was an audience until halfway through and they burst into applause over one of the more stump-speechy phrases, and they let a few more bursts slip after that. It is honest and forthright about his relationship to the many races in his own heritage, and a real, non-political response to the recent diatribe of his pastor. There is an honest assessment of racism as it's seen from both sides, and gives a non-pandering voice to each perspective. I have written before that I haven't fully drunk the Obama kool-aid (and he mentions some of what he represents politically near the end, in terms of racism - it's still not pandering, but it's where he and I diverge) but among the many compliments I can pay him, he is a wonderful orator. There is a lot to say and ponder about this topic, and I support Obama's taking up that banner. John Stewart apparently said "on a Tuesday at 11 a.m., a Presidential candidate actually spoke to Americans about race as though we were adults." It is a very important speech for this historical election, and probably beyond.

3 comments:

Lima Bean said...

Did you hear Obama is having a rally in Eugene on Friday? Jeff really wants to go. He's speaking at 9 pm which seems strange to me, but maybe he wants to let people watch basketball. :-)

Jeff F said...

The kool-aid is too sweet to resist. :) This was an amazing speech, one that I imagine will soon by in my history books and I will be able to use much of it to have a frank discussion with my students about racial issues.

allie said...

i joined blogspot :)