Friday, July 4, 2008

Let Freedom Ring (and Part 1)

Highway 64, Chatham County

Martina was singing in my head while the following things happened on this, the 232nd birthday of our uneasy country:

1. Discovered that the farm was visited by JWs while I was at brunch with my friends. I saw a bright neon orange sticker on the mailbox when I pulled up; I first freaked out that someone more unsavory had marked the place, but then I had a flashback to the pen marks that Salt Lake City JWs left on the door moldings of apartment buildings - vertical line if you visited and no one answered, cross (as in . . . you know) it if you found someone home. They left two tracts I've found so far - one talks about why farming is going so bad for America (something to do with disobedience) and one is just the regular Watchtower. That one I found on the front porch of a non-residence, which was . . . weird and unsettling.

2. Decided, kind of impetuously, to borrow Donnie's good camera (um, thanks!) and do a little honoring of my particular corner of America, and found some pretty delightful things to appreciate/be amused by, which I have decided to post for the next 11 days (above is Part 1) so you can do a little honoring of your own. It's the 12 days of being happy if you live in NC.

3. Landed, at dinnertime, at Ruby Tuesday, because it was late and anything local was closed. I really wanted some salad and they do have a decent salad bar (pardon, Garden Bar), even with edamame and julienned beets. I also ordered the teensy turkey burgers, which were on, like, miniature Merita buns. Not the best. Ruby Tuesday has a weird personality, with the square plates and the attempt at flavor combinations with the illusion of being gourmet but not so much with the actual delivery. But the salad ingredients were fresh, so I will give them that. Also, it was like $11 with Diet Coke. While at dinner, read a charming 6-page New Yorker "Personal History" piece on one dude's nicknames, along with those of his family and friends, and thought fondly of my family and our nicknames.

4. Watched a little GAC, decided that despite his popularity with the ladies and men alike, Brad Paisley (or at least his persona, because he doesn't seem to write all these songs) is kind of a misogynist. This video I just watched, "Waiting on a Woman" is "with" Andy Griffith, which is a serious misnomer, because Andy doesn't sing, just says, over and over, how he's spent his life waiting on the chronically late woman. The final scene, heaven help us, is Andy sitting in a white tuxedo on a bench on the great beach in heaven, waiting on his wife. To DIE. Brad Paisley thinks women are annoying enough to dismiss when they show up late and don't approve of drinking or fishing, among other things. (Remember, he's still a guy.) Over. It. I do love this new Keith Urban song called "Stupid Boy." It came on right after Paisley's nonsense; deliberate programming choice?

5. Pondered on how I spent most of the day by myself (excepting the lovely brunch on the patio at the Weathervane) and thought how much I enjoyed it, but decided that not being able to spend holidays with my family leaves a serious hole in my life.

1 comment:

Lima Bean said...

Commenting on #5: I had some of the same feelings all day. Even though I wasn't alone (because I was with my 3 boys), WE were alone away from family and something felt weird about it--I told Jeff today that the 4th of July is just one of those holidays that should be spent with a lot of family around. Not all holidays are that way--Thanksgiving and Christmas for sure. And sometimes Memorial and Labor Day. We also had a good time, but kind of a weird, lonely time.