Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Facebook makes me homesick

I feel a little dumb writing about Facebook on my blog, since I joined, like, 5 months ago and it's kind of grandma to talk about it, but I'm still in the finding people phase of Facebooking, and it makes me miss Fresno in a heart-achy way. It's not like I want to go back, exactly, but it's just a recurrence of that wistful feeling when you find someone you used to babysit and watch Golden Girls with who's all grown up and beautiful and successful and 28, for crying out loud.

Man, we ragged a lot on Fresno growing up. I know I told my parents a million times I would never come back there, never want to live there as an adult. In high school, I had this huge crush on Virginia. My best friend Erin went on a trip to DC once and did the Virginia tourist sites and her family made this corny home movie for me, complete with suggestions of buildings I should live in and a shaky-cam tour of the outside of George Mason University, where I was going to get a BFA in Creative Writing.

I can unequivocally say that North Carolina is a much better fulfillment of that particular dream, and though I am living as far away from Fresno as is possible and still in the continental United States, I feel drawn back. I am surprised, surfing Facebook, how many people I know stayed or went back or have plans to go back (said BFF Erin, in fact, and her Fresno husband Scott). It's not that it's amazing or great, just that it's pretty good, and it's home. Distance from home feels unbearable sometimes, and worse when your parents sell the house and move somewhere it snows and leave behind the pool and the fat cat Soph[t]ie.

3 comments:

Em said...

oh poor ottoman, leaf-toting sophtie.

allie said...

i miss sophtie the most :(

Kaarsten said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. FB makes me deliriously homesick all the time.