Monday, January 21, 2008

For shame, part 2

I have self-diagnosed green fatigue. Just this weekend, I threw away some orange peels, a banana, two steel soup cans, and I'm getting ready to dump my compost into the trash because it's weeks old and it is going to smell to high heaven when I take off that lid. I also got one plastic Target bag last week, and I gave K & Z a paper bowl for their M&Ms this morning, which they promptly threw away, and I've been using plastic utensils (which I've chucked) every time I brought my lunch and/or breakfast this week.

The weird thing is, I don't care. When I throw it away, I feel this devilish little "so there" and I can't quite figure out what's going on in my head. I am quite embarrassed. I guess it's like anything - you do something long enough, you need a little boost to make it seem worthwhile, and when it's cold and gloomy and you're about to turn 32 years old and you have post-Christmas depression, well, it's hard to feel motivated to care about one more thing, even something that is quite a part of your life.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

This is hilarious. I've been having the same dilemma for the past three weeks. For me it started when we were in Brigham those Christmas days where you can't even recycle a newspaper, so I came back thinking--I mean, even if I recycle one thing a day I'm doing my part compared to most of the world. Except I don't really think that, and I definitely recycle more than one thing each day.

Em said...

haha. you're nuts lis. i think you just need more moderation so you it's not as overwhelming to be green. like if you have to get a plastic bag once in awhile, make sure to use it and reuse it so it's still getting recycled in its own way. then you won't feel guilty.