Saturday, January 19, 2008

For shame

I have a rich sewing heritage. I made a drawstring bag, once, made a lumpyish tie quilt, and screwed up many pieces of a chair in an upholstery class in college; everything had to be either fixed or redone by my teacher or Steph. But my mom made many prom dresses, many easter dresses, various and sundry valances, and could certainly mend anything that crossed her path. I think she even knows how to darn socks, for crying out loud. Grandma M certainly knows how to darn socks, (which, it's amazing to consider that we once kept our socks instead of going to Target and buying 15 new pairs sewn by Chinese children for $3.99), in addition to being able to sew and repair anything quickly and with great skill. I think probably 80% of Renate's wardrobe was made by her two hands, and that includes pants and jackets and blouses, and they do not look like a home-ec special. Grandma T made, among other things, matching flannel nightgowns for me and my dolls, aprons, potholders, and Bean is only running a sewing business.

So you'll see why I am so ashamed that I took my new coat and 2 fallen-off buttons and the 3 barely hanging on to the nice Asian ladies at Fashion Tailors and paid ten dollars (TEN dollars) to have them sewn on.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

man alive, you're funny lis. i just love reading your blog.