Thursday, January 17, 2008

Places to visit in France & Italy

France:

1. Sainte-Maxime en Provence. Looks like it might be less glamorous than St. Tropez or Cannes, which is certainly appealing, but we'll get the Côte d'Azur vibe.

2. Colline Du Chateau. In or near Nice.

3. Marseilles: Notre-Dame de la Garde and Chateau d'If. Seems like that would be exciting for Dad. Sadly, I think we will be too early for the lavender - looks like summer is its season. It would be great if we could even get a taste of how gorgeous it looks and smells. This little town Valensole seems to be a good place to start.

4. 50 things to do in Paris. We can skip the alcohol- and underwear-related ones (and the Eiffel Tower, if you ask me, though I don't know if I can get out of that - I think a view from the car or the sidewalk would be fine with me). I vote yes on numbers: 11, 20, 22, 27, 30 & 38. Versailles sounds like a serious sensory overload time-eater, so I'm okay skipping it, and a big no thank you to Les Catacombes and going near any Hermes or Vuitton stores where we will look like the big Americans we are. Oh, and yes on picnicking and people-watching somewhere along the Seine, maybe where the Contessa and Captain Awkward had their little tomatoes and wine. And of course the Louvre, but not for more than 1 day.

Italy:

1. Capri. Hopefully it's an easy and inexpensive trip over from the boot (maybe involving a ferry?) and we can squeeze it in.

2. Seeing an opera in Italy. Could be a clothing problem and a pipe dream, especially with our lame weak dollar, but oh my. Could we see Otello, even? Boo, no. If only we were going in December, oh my gosh, I would die. But on Thursday, March 20th, if I am reading this half-translated by Google page right, there is a performance of Mozart's Requiem in Florence at the Teatro Verdi. That could be amazing. I can't tell if there are tickets available, but oh my. That is an overwhelmingly exciting possibility.

3. Other things to do in Florence (Firenze): Baptistery.

More to come . . .

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Oooh - Lisee, when are you going? I am so jealous! Dave and I spent a few weeks in Italy and France a few years ago - we only had two weeks notice, so I missed out on all the fun of planning and researching. (but we did attend an Italian wedding - we were the only Americans - one of the most awesome travel experiences EVER! Talk about romantic... sigh. do you have any Italian friends? maybe you could crash a wedding? I am serious!) Keep up your list and I'll be waiting for an update after your adventure... you know, things to add to my future trips!

Jeff F said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff F said...

I can't even believe that you are going without me.....but nevertheless, I will give my advice for Paris. Ahhhh! I understand that you might be against the Eiffel Tower, but I must admit that it is by far one of my favorite places in Paris. But avoid the touristy traps on the Trocadero side and start at the Ecole Militaire and grab a good pain au chocolat or baguette and take a stroll through the gorgeous lawns on that side of the tower. (sigh) My other favorites are the Musee d'Orsay which I believe is a thousand times better than the Louvre (and much less overwhelming). The other one from "the list" that I love is the Place des Vosges. It is gorgeous and breathtaking. We used to just take books or letters and sit and read. Good times. I think it is also pretty close to the home of Victor Hugo, which is pretty cool. The other two places that I didn't see on "the list" are the Sacre Coeur church and the entire Montmartre neighborhood and then the shopping centers at Les Halles. Montmartre is the best place to go to see real artists painting the beautiful Paris skylight and although it can be kind of touristy, it is the distinguished, out of the way kind. Les Halles is a great shopping center that is (or at least used to be in 1998 :( the place where the french shop. Go to the beautiful entertainment store of Fnac and buy a good french cd--- in fact, I lost my copy of "Notre Dame de Paris" and would love a new one :) Finally, if you can find any of the open markets and bask in the beauty of french agriculture, you won't regret it. There is something beautiful about asking for "quelque champignons ou legumes verts" and handing over your euros...gotta miss the ole francs. Anyway, just a few tips and again I am vert with envy, but hope that you can enjoy every minute in the most beautiful city in the world.